Sunday, February 20, 2022

Closing out 1944

Two letters and three missions bring 1944 to an end. 

Here is something interesting. Again, due to the postmark it's a little out of synch. Written on December 27, 1944, it was postmarked January 4, 1945.

It is a non-photographed Vmail! It's an 8½ x 11 sheet. Usually after it gets photographed and mailed, it arrives as a small 4 x 6 sheet. This one came intact.

I've scanned the front and back. 




Dec 27, 1944

Dear Ma

Well lets see if this will beat the rest of the letters I have written you in the last few days. I got all your letters out last night and started reading them according to the dates and they seem to make a little more sense. You see they don't get here in the order you write them, I don't suppose mine get there any better. I never got any mail yesterday or today but maybe the Xmas rush is over and it will start comming in. Did I tell you I got the first 3 neg. you sent but haven't recived the rest as of yet. Well I have run out of space so will sign off so write soon  Jack. 






Dec 29 1944

Dear Ma

Here I go trying to ruin your eyes again. I'll bet you think some thing wrong with me writing so often of late. Its just that I am trying to catch up on the letters I have recived from you. I got a letter from Neva to day but no more.

You know I think I'll try to see If I can't look up Bob C on my next 48. I don't know if it can be done but I think I'll try. From the clippings you sent Leland Perry is stationed at the same base so I'll be able to kill 2 birds with 2 stones. Note the 2 stones. 

I don't belive I need anymore stationary with that you sent in the first box and then that in the Xmas package. I also got some from Maggie so I'll have to write like mad to use it all up but I'll try my best. 

I had to wash those socks you sent me to day, one pair was so bad I had to tie it down. I had to wear them for a week and did they stink. It was pretty hard to get them as white as I did but at least they don't stink. 

I also have to start shining shoes tonight, because tomorrow is inspection day. It makes me so mad to have to get up and make my bed and shine shoes. I guess you have to do such things in the army though. 

You say most of the fellows will be shiped from there. I'll bet they wish they could stay there too. As bad as I would hate to be stationed at a place like that I'd take it now. At least you can do down and get a steak or malt once in a while. You also can get a drink of hard whiskey. You don't have to wash your own cloths and such as that. I guess none of us know how well off we are until we have it rough. 

Say thanks for all the stuff you sent including the cigarettes. I was running a little low but that helped out. I suppose we will be getting more soon. How much talking did it take to get them I'll bet you found some batchler. 

Well Kale, for sure, turned me in for the rocker today. I thought he had done so sooner but he hadn't seen the major. I don't know how long it takes but I should have it with in a few days. (I hope) When I get it that will all Ill be able to get. The radio & eng. get Tech but thats all. Ohwell I will probably be able to live with just the one down [?]. I'll close for Now so write soon. 

Jack. 

Here are the rank insignia he is describing:



Jack flew three missions here at the end of December. 

Mission 248 on December 28 hit railroad marshaling yards, again near Koblenz, in the area near the Belgium and Luxembourg borders, so I presume this was part of the Battle of the Bulge. No aircraft were lost. They had no encounters with enemy aircraft or flak. 

Here are a few notes from the crews:
Combat Crew Comments:
    508th Squadron:
A/C Q-799: Flew too low above the water on the way back. - Lt. Galloway.
A/C O-277: Do not want British rations; would rather have chocolate bars. - Lt. Zimmerman.

    510th Squadron:
A/C S-512: Somebody shot a .50 caliber into our No. 4 engine that could have hit one of the crew. - Lt. Miller

    511th Squadron:
A/C H-592: Announce control points and mickey winds over VHF. - Lt. Edelman.
A/C G-070: Suggest handles be put on the boxes holding the flak suits. - F/O Lesch

  [Signed:] Robert P. Ramsey, Major, Air Corps, Group S-2 [Intelligence].

Mission 249 on December 30 bombed a railroad overpass at Kaiserslautern, about 85 miles south of Koblenz.  Another successful mission, with no enemy aircraft or flak encountered. I'm counting "success" as without loss of life. Not sure if the bombs hit their intended targets. Bridges were tiny targets and hard to hit. 

Mission 250, on New Year's Eve, targeted railroad marshaling yards near Krefeld-Uerdingen, Germany, on the Rhine and near the border with the Netherlands. No aircraft were lost, but they did encounter some flak. 

No comments:

Post a Comment